- Shinjuku City Official Website > Foreign Language Top Page > Procedures for Changes of Address and Taxes > Individual Number Notification Card and Individual Number (“My Number”) Card
Individual Number Notification Card and Individual Number (“My Number”) Card
Section in charge: Resident Registration Section, Family and Resident Registration Division
●What Is an Individual Number Notification Card?
An individual number notification card that states an individual number (“My Number”) will be sent by simple registered mail [no forwarding] to all residents of Japan. This includes newly registered residents who have moved here from overseas or were born recently. The Japan Agency for Local Authority Information Systems (J-LIS), which is contracted by municipalities across Japan, issues and mails the notification cards.
Please keep your individual number notification card in a safe place for your reference and security.
Note: The individual number notification card cannot be used as a document to certify your individual number.
●What Is an Individual Number (“My Number”) Card?
• This is an IC card with an ID photo. It has your name and address on the front, and individual number written on the back.
• Electronic certificates for personal public identification services are included in an IC chip as standard equipment. These can be used when logging in at a Mynaportal or using convenience store certificate-issuing services.
• Although there is no handling fee for your first individual number card, there is a handling fee of ¥800 for a reissue, and an additional fee of ¥200 for reissuing electronic certificates.
• If there is a change in information such as your name or address, please file a notification at the City Office service counter within fourteen days. If you have extended your visa period of stay at the Immigration Services Agency, please file a notification with the City Office service counter before your individual number card’s expiration date to update your individual number card.
●Application and Issue of Individual Number Cards
1.Applying by mail
You can apply using the individual number card application form and the envelope for mailing it. You can obtain the form and envelope at the Family and Resident Registration Division or your local Branch Office, or download them from the website below.
Attach an ID photo to your application form, complete the form with the required information (such as your individual number), place the completed form in the designated envelope, and mail it.
Note: You can also use the application form attached to your notification card. If there is a change in your name, address or other information, please write the change and submit your application.
2.Applying via Internet/local ID photo booth
You can apply using the ID or QR code on the application form enclosed with your individual number notification card. If there was no application form enclosed with your notification card, please bring some form of official ID to the Family and Resident Registration Division or your local Branch Office and show it to obtain an application form with your application ID on it.
When applying via the Internet, take a photo of yourself with a digital camera or smartphone and save it, and then access the website below. After accessing the website, follow the instructions on the screen to complete application procedures.
When applying via a designated ID photo booth (showing the special sticker), select “Individual Number Card” on the touch panel of the ID photo booth, and follow the instructions on the screen to complete application procedures.
3.Individual number card online application support service
City Office staff can help you apply on the first floor of the Shinjuku City Office Main Building, from taking the required photo to completing the application form. You must have the special application ID to apply. Please also bring some form of official personal ID (such as your residence card) to the Family and Resident Registration Division service counter and ask for an application form with an application ID written on it.
After filing an application, you will be notified by mail when your individual number card is ready. Please make a reservation via the Internet or by phone before coming to the issuing location to pick up your card.
When picking up your card, please bring your individual number card issue notification and some form of official personal ID (such as your residence card or special permanent resident certificate). Please ask the Family and Resident Registration Division about forms of personal identification other than the abovementioned.
●Concerning the Basic Resident Registration Card
With the issue of the individual number card, the basic resident registration card will no longer be issued as of December 28, 2015. Although the basic resident registration cards can be used until their respective expiration dates, they will be collected when individual number cards are issued. You cannot use both your basic resident registration card and your individual number card.
April 1, 2022