- Shinjuku City Official Website > Foreign Language Top Page > Procedures for Changes of Address and Taxes > Income Tax Report Season Will Begin!
Income Tax Report Season Will Begin!
For the 2017 tax year: Tax returns and reports will be accepted according to the following schedule:
|Income tax and the special income tax for reconstruction||From February 16 (Fri.) to March 15 (Thu.)
Note: You can file tax refund report on or before February 15 (Thu.).
|Gift tax||From February 1 (Thu.) to March 15 (Thu.)|
|Consumption tax and local consumption tax for self-employed persons||From January 4 (Thu.) to April 2 (Mon.)|
Providing a Place Where You Can Complete Your Tax Returns and Reports at the Lumine0 (NEWoMan 5F)
The Shinjuku, Yotsuya and Nakano tax offices will collectively establish a reception desk at the Lumine0 to assist you in completing your income tax reports, special income tax for reconstruction reports, gift tax reports, and self-employed persons consumption tax and local consumption tax reports.
○ There is no place to complete tax report forms or receive advice about them at the individual tax offices.
○ Please submit your completed returns, etc., at the local tax office counter (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays) or by postal mail.
Dates: From February 16 (Fri.) to March 15 (Thu.)
1. Excluding Saturdays and Sundays, with the exception of February 18 and 25 (both Sundays) when the reception desk will be open.
2. The site is expected to be very busy. Depending on the number of people being served, please understand that you may have to wait a long time. If there is major congestion, the reception desk may close early, so please come as early as possible.
Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. (advisory services start from 9:15 a.m.)
Location: Lumine0, NEWoMan 5F, 5-24-55 Sendagaya, Shibuya-ku
Receipts No Longer Required for Medical Expense Deductions
You may attach a medical expense deduction statement instead of submitting receipts for your 2017 tax return.
– However, you must keep receipts for medical expenses at home for five years. (You must submit your receipts if the tax office requests them.)
– If you attach a medical expenses notice issued by a medical insurer, you can omit the details. (A “medical expenses notice” refers to the medical fee notices issued by health insurance unions, etc.)
– The envelopes for medical expense details and receipts that were used up until the 2016 tax year are no longer available at tax offices.
– You can download the medical expense deduction statement from the National Tax Agency website.
Note: You may attach or present receipts for medical expenses with your tax returns until the 2019 tax year.
New Tax System for Self Care
Starting with your tax return for 2017, if you took certain measures to maintain your health and prevent disease (such as receiving health checkups and vaccinations) and purchased specified generic pharmaceuticals, etc., you can receive a special deduction for medical expenses based on the tax system for self care instead of using the existing medical expenses deduction.
Documents that you must attach or present
□ Self-care tax system specification sheet (please attach)
□ Documents specifying the measures you took during the applicable tax year (please attach or present)
Examples: Vaccination receipts, notification of results of health checkup/medical examination, etc. (Your name, the year in which the screening occurred, the insurer that handled the screening, and a description of the name of the medical institution, etc., are required.) For more details, please see the National Tax Agency website.
You’ll Need Your Individual Number (My Number) When File Your Tax Reports
Starting with tax year 2016, all tax returns for income tax, special income tax for reconstruction, consumption tax and local consumption tax, and gift tax reports must list your individual number. You also must attach a copy or present your personal ID whenever you submit a tax return to the tax office.
Examples of acceptable forms of personal ID (documents to confirm your individual number and identity):
1. Individual number card (to confirm your individual number and identity)
2. Notification card, etc. (to confirm your individual number) + driver’s license, etc. (to confirm your identity)
1. If you are submitting your tax returns by mail, please attach a copy of 1) (front and back) or 2) above.
2. If you are submitting your tax returns by e-Tax, there is no need to present or submit a copy of your ID.
3. From January 2018, you may omit documents to confirm your individual number (such as your notification card) for some procedures. For more information, please see the National Tax Agency website.
Complete and Submit Tax Returns via the National Tax Agency Website
1. Follow the directions on the website to acquire your user identification number
Note: You can skip this step if you already have a user identification number.
2. Register the electronic certificates in your individual number card in e-Tax
Note: Even if you have registered an electronic certificate of your basic resident registration card in e-Tax, you will need to register an electronic certificate of your individual number card.
3. Create and transmit the data for your tax returns, etc.
Note: After sending the data, a notice of receipt will be sent to your message box. Please check it.
You can complete your tax returns via the National Tax Agency website. For more information, please visit:
About Tax Returns and Reports for Public Pensions, Etc.
You do not have to file a income tax return or other tax reports if your total income from public pension and similar sources is four million yen or less and the income amount from income outside of miscellaneous income related to a public pension, etc., is 200,000 yen or less.
However, you can still file a return if you believe you will receive a refund. Please note, however, that since tax year 2015 you cannot omit filing tax reports if you receive a public pension, etc. that is not subject to withholding tax.
For more information, please contact the tax office overseeing your jurisdiction or visit the National Tax Agency website.
Note: Even if you do not need to declare your income, you may still need to make a declaration of resident’s tax.
Free Tax Return Advice From Certified Tax Accountants
Dates/locations: Please see the table below.
Reception from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 3:30 p.m. for all days (consultation available from 9:30 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m.)
Sponsors: Tokyo Certified Public Tax Accountants’ Association, Shinjuku Branch Office and Yotsuya Branch Office
Shinjuku Tax Office Jurisdiction
|From January 31 (Wed.) to February 2 (Fri.)||Totsuka Chiiki Center
|February 5 (Mon.) and 6 (Tue.)||Ochiai Daini Chiiki Center
|February 8 (Thu.) and 9 (Fri.)||Ochiai Daiichi Chiiki Center
|From February 13 (Tue.) to 16 (Fri.)||Shinjuku City Office Main Building B1F
Yotsuya Tax Office Jurisdiction
|From January 29 (Mon.) to 31 (Wed.)||Ushigome Tansu Chiiki Center
|From February 1 (Thu.) to 5 (Mon.)
Note: Excluding Saturday and Sunday
|Wakamatsu Chiiki Center
|From February 6 (Tue.) to 9 (Fri.)||Enokicho Chiiki Center
|From February 13 (Tue.) to 15 (Thu.)||Yotsuya Public Health Center
1. Please bring all the necessary documents needed to prepare your return and a copy of personal ID that shows your individual number.
2. Please refrain from using this service if you have capital gains, if you use a private tax accountant, or if you need advice on inheritance tax and gift tax.
3. Please do not come to the venue by car.
4. If you only need to submit your tax return, please bring it to the tax office service counter (closed on Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays) or send it by mail.
Gift Tax Reports and Payment
If you have received a gift with a value of over 1.1 million yen (such as land, buildings, cash, savings or stock) from an individual during 2017 or if you apply for the taxation system for settlement at the time of inheritance, you must file a gift tax report.
You can file gift tax reports using the “確定申告書等作成コーナー (Income Tax Report Corner)” of the National Tax Agency website (http://www.nta.go.jp). You can also use e-Tax.
Beware of Unlicensed Tax Accountants
It is against the law for a person not licensed as a tax accountant to offer tax advice, complete tax returns or file proxy tax returns. If you use someone without a license or sufficient knowledge to handle your taxes, you may run into unexpected trouble. Licensed tax accountants always carry their authorization card and badge with them. Please be careful to avoid unlicensed tax accountants.
Submitting Property Liability Records
If you are required to file an income tax return, etc., and your income for 2017 exceeded twenty million yen, and if you have property whose total value was three hundred million yen or more or securities valued at one hundred million yen or more as of December 31, 2017, you must submit a property liability record to the tax office by March 15 (Thu.).
Submitting Overseas Property Records
If you have property overseas whose total value exceeded fifty million yen as of December 31, 2017, you must submit overseas property records to the tax office by March 15 (Thu.).
Please Use the Convenient Direct Debit Service to Pay Your Taxes
Transfer dates for 2017 tax
|Income tax and the special income tax for reconstruction||April 20 (Fri.)
Payment due date when you do not use direct debit payment: March 15 (Thu.).
|Consumption tax and local consumption tax for self-employed persons||April 25 (Wed.)
Payment due date when you do not use direct debit payment: April 2 (Mon.).
1. If this is the first timing you are using the direct debit service for tax payments, please submit a bank transfer request form by March 15 (Thu.) for income tax and the special income tax for reconstruction, and by April 2 (Mon.) for consumption tax and local consumption tax.
2. You cannot use the direct debit service for gift tax payments.
|Inquiry||Shinjuku Tax Office (Odakyu Dai-ichi Seimei Bldg. 6F, 2-7-1 Nishi-Shinjuku), Tel: 03-6757-7776
Yotsuya Tax Office (24 San-ei-cho), Tel: 03-3359-4451
National Tax Agency website
February 5, 2018