- Shinjuku City Official Website > Foreign Language Top Page > Employment and Status of Residence > Finalizing Labor Contracts
Finalizing Labor Contracts
Inquiries: Tokyo Employment Service Center for Foreigners
As a rule, the Japanese Labor Standards Act, Minimum Wages Act, Industrial Safety and Health Act, and Workers’ Accident Compensation Insurance Act apply to all those who work in Japan, regardless of nationality or sex, and regardless of legal status under immigration laws.
The main elements concerning labor conditions must be issued in writing to laborers. Since misunderstandings may arise, especially for foreign residents, written labor contracts are necessary to avoid any trouble that may occur in the future.
When finalizing a labor contract according to Labor Standards Act, the following main subjects must be indicated in writing:
- Contract period and terms of renewal
- Location and content of the job.
- Starting time, finishing time, whether work is required beyond the designated working hours, break time/holidays, and the possibility of changing work hours
- Salary, calculation and payment method, payment date, pay period and raises in salary
- Retirement and resignation procedures
April 1, 2021