- Shinjuku City Official Website > Foreign Language Top Page > Living > Rules for Using the Sewage System in a Comfortable Way
Rules for Using the Sewage System in a Comfortable Way
Inquiries: Public Relations Service Section, General Affairs Division, Bureau of Sewerage, Tokyo Metropolitan Government
● Do not pour gasoline, kerosene or chemicals such as paint thinner down the drain
Doing so may cause serious accidents, such as an explosion.
● Please use the toilet properly
If you flush disposable diapers and paper that does not dissolve in water down the toilet, this could clog pipes.
● Please use the kitchen and bathroom sinks properly
Do not dispose of solid items such as chopsticks, plastic sheets and food waste down the kitchen or bathroom sink.
● Let hot water cool down before pouring it down a drain
Pouring hot water down a drain causes damage to the pipes.
● Do not pour oil down the drain
If you pour used cooking oil down the kitchen sink, it could clog the sewage pipes.
○ It is a good idea to wipe plates off before washing them.
○ If you pour used cooking oil down the kitchen sink, it could clog pipes and cause odors.
○ If you do not use up oil completely, please clean up the leftover oil by wiping it up or soaking it up with cloth or paper.
● Be careful of torrential storms during the rainy season and typhoon season
When rainfall is heavy, rainwater from surface streets can easily flow into semi-basements and basements, posing a danger of flooding.
Since the pressure of water flowing in may make opening the door difficult, it is wise not to go into basements and such areas.
Rain information can be accessed via Tokyo Amesh (Website: https://tokyo-ame.jwa.or.jp/) (in Japanese, English, Chinese and Korean).
April 1, 2021